1/21/2006

Two lessons from week one

Well, chalk one up to experience. Two lessons from week one:

First, find the right platform to blog on.


WordPress
seemed like a sexy, clean and user-friendly blog platform. Marnie Webb (of Techsoup and Ext337 blog fame, who will be at our June 7-8 Making Media Connections conference) told me about it & that's where I first created this blog. But the name of the blog by default is the same as your user name and since this is a project of Community Media Workshop, not just Gordon Mayer, that didn't feel right. So I moved it to Blogger.

Second, deciding what's appropriate to post will be the first challenge.

We provided communications training for the Midwest grantees of Hispanics in Philanthropy last week, and a couple of great, and funny, things came out of a storytelling as effective communications segment. It's exciting when people actually start coming to grips with language by figuring out exactly what words they want to use to describe their organization.

In this session, we ask folks to come up with a metaphor for their organization, since we know that images often stick with people they meet long after a specific conversation is over. I think I'd better ask Carlos, from the session, if it's OK to lay out his image before I post it here for the world.

I wish I could remember, in order to give credit where it's due, who first suggested (in some blog posting, somewhere, I believe) that one barrier to nonprofits effectively using the Internet is their sensitivty to reputation and low tolerance for risking their organization's 'image' by speaking clearly and openly--or even in words of less than three syllables.

On the other hand that may just be a rationale for not posting more, sooner.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I do like Blogger, but what about TypePad? I've heard good things about it...

Also, NP? I'm sure it's something obvious, but I can't quite figure it out.

January 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home