1/27/2006

What the hell is NP? and tech note

In response to my first questions (ahem), Elizabeth Wampler from Greater Southwest Development Corp. asked why "npcommunicator"--for nonprofit, of course!

For a long time at Commuity Media Workshop we strugled to define our audience--before we came up with this label, "nonprofit communicators."

To label something is of course to over-simplify. For example, the idea of nonprofit communicators obscures the fact that development staff, organizers, or program staff are the folks at most nonprofits who are also responsible for communications, or public relations--more or less interchangeable terms today, no? They do this work in their spare time, otherwise defined as the time that they ain't got.

Another day we'll go into who's to blame for this state of affairs and why. In the meantime, let's just say that while the label oversimplifies, it also restores some sanity for us in defining our audience. As all good marketers know, the more narrowly focused and targeted we are in the folks we try to reach, the better we can anticipate their needs. And np instead of nonprofit, just because it seemed like a lot to type. But I could change it if it's confusing, I guess.

Secondly, as to typepad, Elizabeth, I've been pretty happy so far with Blogger and it was totally free, but I think if I had $10 a month I probably would do Typepad. Hell if I know. Andreas Ramos suggests starting with blogger and then maybe moving to Moveable Type. The most super guide to blogging I've found on the Web, by the way, is "How to be Heard" by Stephen Downes--it's more on the technique of blogging than the technology but I found it really helpful. What made me think of answering this is that I wanted to "trackback" to something on another post and Blogger does not suppor that. But since I still do not know what trackback actually means or how it works, this is no big deal.

Elizabeth you are, like, reader number one. Thanks for asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home